Artisan organic honey is very different from industrial organic honey, and its properties give incredible health benefits.
Many people consider honey as a “natural” and healthy food product, independently on its origin and production methods. And this is not entirely true. In fact, today the greatest part of the honey consumed in the world is no longer as good as the one that our grandparents used to eat. Yet, in Italy there are still small artisan beekeepers who chose to produce honey according to ancient methods that respect both the consumer and the bees themselves, without chemicals, pesticides and without the addition of artificial ingredients. “Made in Italy” organic honey is appreciated all over the world and recently also in the USA consumers are showing a growing interest for it.
Here are five reasons for preferring it to other types of honey.
1. It contains fewer toxic pollutants. The regulation on organic beekeeping is very restrictive, and the plants that can be foraged by bees must be at least 3 km away from any source of pollution (highways, urban and industrial buildings, landfills, etc).
To safeguard their bees some organic beekeepers bring them in uncontaminated Italian Reserves and National Parks.
2. Organic honey has beneficial properties for digestion. Scientific studies have shown that antibiotics, but also pesticides can unbalance the intestinal flora (ISS -Ferrini) with adverse health consequences, so it is always better to prefer a honey free of these substances. By law, certified organic honey must be free of traces of synthetic antibiotics (such as tetracyclines, streptomycin, sulfonamides, etc.), or synthetic substances acaricide used in conventional beekeeping.
3. Organic honey is not pasteurized. Industrial honey is often pasteurized, ie subjected to thermal treatments at high temperatures. The result is a homogeneous and liquid product, often preferred by consumers because of these characteristics. Yet, the pasteurization process destroys many of the most important enzymes, vitamins and minerals naturally present in honey.
4. It is produced in small quantities. It is the freshness that guarantees the quality of the honey: it tastes and smells better and has a higher content of antioxidants, enzymes, amino acids, vitamins and minerals than the other sweeteners.
Honey also contains minerals such as calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, chromium, manganese and selenium. These minerals have a key role in many biological processes in our bodies that help to keep us healthy.
5. Organic honey saves the bees. Buying organic honey from small beekeepers is good for our health, but also to the world of bees, now in great danger. Small honey producers let bees live in wild areas and without the neonicotinoids used in intensive agriculture, using only natural remedies.